I’ve been working on GCP lately. Having a lot of fun, learning stuffs and running into problems.
There are several bugs of GCP I have run into:
- I couldn’t start several stopped VM instances one morning. It gave me an error code and asked me to contact Google support. But after a few minutes, it worked again.
- Extra files showed up in my Filestore share. They ended with “:zoneIdentifier” with the same name of existing files as the former part.
- Starting and stopping VM instances became much slower than usual.
Some things related to Load Balancer need to remember:
- HTTP has better performance than TCP in general. (Keep-alive helps)
- The timeout setting sometimes needs to be tuned so it can work with long requests.
- Separate files into different logical units.
- Can not use underscore in many naming places. Try to stay with hyphen.
- When a request is failing, check firewall.
- On Windows VM, the Windows Firewal could be blocking.
- Startup script is helpful in preparint base image or running startup work.